Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Ballad of Peckham Rye by Muriel Spark

The Ballad of Peckham RyeThe Ballad of Peckham Rye by Muriel Spark
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I picked this book because I like Muriel Spark and this book is short. This was not a good one. I'm not sure if I properly understood this book, but contrary to a lot of the other reviews I don't think Dougal Douglas is actually responsible for everything (anything?) that happens. It seems to me like the residents of Peckham are very deeply flawed all on their own and just blame the new Scottish guy in town. Granted Dougal is a jerk and "likes taking the piss" but this hardly seems to make him responsible for everyone else's choices. Note that at the very beginning of the book Dixie even blames Dougal for Humphrey not being a germaphobe, but in fact, Dougal hates sickness.

"I feel as if I've been married 20 years instead of 2 hours." - Dixie

Well, I feel like I've been reading this book for 20 years instead of 2 days, so I can relate.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...