Thursday, April 12, 2012

How I Got This Way by Regis Philbin

How I Got This WayHow I Got This Way by Regis Philbin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I borrowed Grandma Ruth's copy while visiting. It's a very untraditional memoir. Each chapter is basically an essay about meeting a famous person and the relationship that Regis developed from them and what lesson he learned from that person. Some were boring to me because I didn't know the famous person (who is maybe not so famous anymore). Some were personalities I did know but his analysis of the person lacked any real interest or bite (especially when the person he was writing about is still alive).

People he discussed that I actually know of include: Ronald Reagan, Bill Cosby, Dean Martin, Kathie Lee Gifford, Kelly Ripa, Donald Trump, Joe DiMaggio, Jerry Seinfeld, Steven Spielberg, George Clooney, Jack Nicholson, Howard Stern, David Letterman, and his wife Joy Philbin. Notice how many of the people on this list are more "notorious" rather than famous? And yet he had very few negative things to say about any.

Of the people I didn't know about I found Don Rickles to be the most interesting and I'm glad I looked him up further online. He seems really funny.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...