Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Aeneid by Virgil

The AeneidThe Aeneid by Virgil
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

We read portions of this in my Latin class over the course of two years, and I read this English translation mostly on my own at the same time. Nothing will make you love a book like pouring over it for multiple years. We also all used Latin names in class and I was Dido Elissa, which I liked because she was a powerful queen and an important character in The Aeneid. But I disliked having her name because I felt like the whole business with [spoiler alert] throwing herself on a pyre was kind of pathetic and definitely not feminist. Overall, it was such a gift to get to pour over this in Latin with a teacher to guide us through. (Thanks, Mrs. Simon.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...