Wednesday, March 8, 2017

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

I Know Why the Caged Bird SingsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is very disturbing in that there's violence, rape, and racism-- and to credit Angelou- the racism is the most painful somehow. The scene with the dentist is so heartbreaking. But the book is also full of love and humor. A classic.

Side note: I don't know if I this is the first time I read this autobiography or not. I had it on my shelf for ages, and its title is so familiar to everyone. Also, this is Angelou's first autobiography and earlier this year I read Mom & Me & Mom, her seventh autobiography, and the books are mostly the same, except this stops while she's still quite young, and Mom & Me & Mom is shorter. Also, Mom & Me & Mom seems more like a refocus on her mother because she mostly left her mother out of this one because her grandmother raised her until she was in her teens.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...