Wednesday, July 4, 2018

I'm Still Here by Austin Channing Brown

I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for WhitenessI'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was a little dubious when I was reading the first two chapters, but then she gets to the meat of the book, and I thought the rest of it was really great. Very rarely do I think a book could be longer, but this was one I thought could have been expanded with relevant history and policy. Of course, that an unreasonable desire on my part, because this is a memoir, but I just think she'd cover the relevant details really well. It is a great book.

Lately, I read a lot about both racism and feminism (the latter is not really mentioned in this book but it's relevant) and I think that's why a lot of what she said made a lot of sense to me and Brown was really great at tying together a lot of issues. I'm not certain if it would be as clear if you don't already have a lot of background in the history of race relations in the country and the institutionalization of racist laws and policies. Definitely one worth reading, regardless.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...