Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler

The Vagina MonologuesThe Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I first saw the play in 1998 when I was 18 or 19. It was performed by GW students in a Presbyterian Church in DC. I wasn't as impressed at the time as I am as an adult with an expanded view of feminism.

There's an element of comedy in the play and sometimes it feels a little silly, but overall, a moving and necessary discussion. I was especially moved by the sad segment about the elderly woman who shut down after one embarrassing episode with a man. It's definitely a body part that needs to be demystified in public discourse. It would be good if there were more of active discussion of feminism as a concept in the play but maybe that's difficult to incorporate into an art medium.

It's such a blessing to live in a society and time where we can read and perform this play. But I'm also sad that it's one we still need so badly.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...