Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (The Giver, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Once I picked this up I couldn't put it down until I finished it. It's very similar to Anthem but with a lot more character development, it lets you feel the horror of the situation more. It's a dystopian, young adult, science fiction, political allegory and I do feel like all my emotions were manipulated for some purpose that's less clear to me than Anthem was. Possibly it has some anti-Anthem points in it? (Being too unique and independent from your family is a danger?) But still, I liked it.

On a separate note, it's horrifying. I can't believe they make kids read this in school or what sense they might make of it without any relevant history to compare to the allegory.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...