Monday, January 16, 2017

Persuasion by Jane Austen

PersuasionPersuasion by Jane Austen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Anne and Captain Wentworth provide a different love story than the other Austen novels because they fell in love out of sight of the reader 8 years before the story begins. They also broke up 8 years ago. So the story hinges on the question of whether they will- both being single- get back together. It's perfectly written- with no plot holes or boring parts. The only shortcoming for me is that they just don't spend that much time interacting in the reader's view. I can't fall in love with them or with Captain Wentworth for myself the way I fell in love with the characters in Pride and Prejudice.

Nonetheless, this novel is still Top 3 Jane Austen for me. Here's my ranking: (1) Pride and Prejudice, (2) Sense and Sensibility, (3) Persuasion, (4) Emma, (5) Mansfield Park, (6) Lady Susan (much shorter). I don't especially like Northanger Abbey, so I'm not putting it on this list, but it's okay.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...