Tuesday, June 6, 2017

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

The Case for ChristThe Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

It would have been 3 stars but it's super-condescending. It claims to offer a fair investigation, but it's a one-sided affair. Which would have been fine, if that had been addressed honestly. I think that if you pick up and read a book with a title like The Case for Christ, you probably have an open mind to Christianity, so it was all the more disappointing that this wasn't well-done. I wish a super-intelligent and fair-minded Christian such as Marylynne Robinson would write a nonfiction book about Christianity. (She hasn't has she?) Does anyone know of a book like that to recommend?

The reason I did like it is because it presents an attempt at proving the events of the New Testament. Strobel at least makes a good argument that it's not insane to believe in this happened. But despite his constant self-congratulating in the book, he doesn't make a good argument that it's highly logical based on the evidence. The reasoning is very unclear in a number of places. He doesn't acknowledge that weakness in some of the more important topics particularly weakens the entire structure of his argument. His house has an excellent roof on a very poor foundation.

If anything, this book made me aware of some cogent-sounding counterarguments to Christianity of which I was not previously aware. However, the more logical the counter-argument, the less time Strobel spends addressing it with any seriousness.

For me, reading about physics has taken me further in believing in difficult-to-believe phenomena than this book has.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...