Saturday, February 23, 2019

Living a Feminist Life by Sara Ahmed

Living a Feminist LifeLiving a Feminist Life by Sara Ahmed
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Truthfully, I should have given it 3 stars because it is the most repetitive book I’ve ever read. But I imagined reading a book half this length with all the repeat sentences removed. Here’s what I appreciated: the focus on the falsity of the idea of the feminist as the cause her own suffering. I’ve recently encountered the argument here on Goodreads, that feminists aren’t unhappy because of outside injustice but because they’ve pushed back on this injustice too much. Ahmed also explores the idea of how people label those who complain about these injustices as killjoys. That’s really familiar.

I liked the exploration of the often ineffective diversity initiatives at most workplaces. How the reports and measurements and self-congratulatory events can become the very tool of oppression by managers that do not at all understand the issues of diversity in the workplace.

I also liked the idea of a feminist survival kit. I am not sure what I’d put in mine, but I’m working on it.

I didn’t like the idea that she put forward of feminists (be the feminist women, men, trans, other races, disabled) constantly snapping at each other. It’s okay to discuss different experiences but it’s exhausting not to have allies that don’t also attack.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...