Saturday, June 8, 2019

The Magus by John Fowles

The MagusThe Magus by John Fowles
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novel was very weird, and I was on board for that. It was literary the best possible way and examines truth, performance, beauty, and love. But. Even though the point of this book was partially anti-misogyny since the main character is misogynistic and racist, it was sometimes a lot to get through. Also, the book was way too long. I kept thinking, how is this not the end? How is this not end? When he introduced another character Jojo nearly at the very end, I groaned out loud. Finally, I think absolutely everyone in the book misunderstands love. The main character is supposed to misunderstand it, but I get the sense that even the author is off-base. I never for one second got the sense he loved Allison. Not even close. So why would I root for their love? I didn't. Even though it's a big topic of the book, in my opinion, there is no love in this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...