Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner

The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this because my 8-year-old son read it and loved it. This strikes me as the kind of book you have to read when you’re a kid though.

First, aside from the charm of living in an abandoned boxcar, which I totally get, there wasn’t much I enjoyed.

Second, none of the characters behave in a way explicable to adult readers. The children’s parents recently died but none of the children suffer ill-effects. None of the four are grief-stricken, shocked, regressing, or even irritable. None of the adults behave in explicable ways either. And [spoiler alert] the kids end up with a grandfather who is almost certainly an asshole as he has had no relationship with his four grandkids up until now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...