Friday, July 12, 2019

A Delicate Aggression by David O. Dowling

A Delicate Aggression: Savagery and Survival in the Iowa Writers' WorkshopA Delicate Aggression: Savagery and Survival in the Iowa Writers' Workshop by David O. Dowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My interest waxed and waned while reading this. As other reviewers mentioned it was more of a collection of biographies about certain teachers and certain students at the Iowa Writers Workshop MFA in three different eras. I was originally hoping to learn more about the actual program, especially the modern era because my husband attended for fiction writing in the early 2000s, but it didn’t provide that. Nonetheless, I found the information about Paul Engle, Flannery O’Connor, and Marilynne Robinson very interesting. Engle created and managed to fund an amazing program and the author is confusingly kind of negative towards him. But overall, I’m glad I read this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...