Thursday, October 10, 2019

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to BeGirl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachel Hollis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sometimes my reviews say that I really wanted to like something because I love the author or I loved the idea, but this was the opposite, I expected, even wanted, to dislike it because I felt like the author has no special expertise. I wasn't wrong in my assumptions, her only qualification here is that she's been successful building a business, and that doesn't count for much outside of business books, which themselves are not so thrilling or important to me.

That said, her book was really entertaining and enjoyable to read and came from a really good place -- she's honestly trying to help people I think, and there is some valuable stuff in this book. I especially enjoyed her particular brand of Christianity which focuses on actually doing stuff of help, and sharing in Jesus's acceptance of all people, instead of the brand that I often encounter which is sometimes a vehicle of oppression. I was also fascinated and horrified by her account of the foster system. So yes, there are a lot of cliches about magical thinking that I think you should actively disregard, but there's also things of value in here. I liked it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...