Thursday, August 13, 2015

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Mere ChristianityMere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well, this is tricky. I want to be convinced, but this failed to convince me that God or Christianity are real. Part of the problem is that his main argument for why it is real is our internal sense of justice. In fact, many animals have a sense justice that has been studied at length. This does not disprove or prove Christianity, but it leaves that one point less persuasive than I would hope.

Second, I think it's a good explanation of Christianity and how it works, and it's a great exploration of how Christians should endeavor to live. It's especially refreshing to see that a devout man sees no inconsistency between God and evolution. They are of course, not mutually exclusive. But all the wonderful language and philosophy in this section is marred by his thoughts on homosexuality which are outdated. It's hard to get past that.

Is it worth reading? Yes. Is it a great masterpiece of religion and philosophy? I am less persuaded on that point.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...