Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Cannibalism by Bill Schutt

Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural HistoryCannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History by Bill Schutt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love reading about science so I’m definitely the target audience for an exploration of zoological and anthropological cannibalism. I was especially intrigued by the discussion of mad cow disease and the mirror illness in human cannibals. An article on a different illness has haunted me since I first read about it in 2008, and I’d love to read a more detailed explanation of what, if any, relationship these illness have (as soon as scientists figure it out): https://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05pork.html.

One thing really bothered me though, despite the book coming out in 2017, Schutt seems to have missed major research on Neanderthals that came out in 2015 of DNA evidence that there was "Ancient gene flow from early modern humans into Eastern Neanderthals": https://www.nature.com/articles/nature16544.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...