Friday, August 24, 2018

The Starr Report by Kenneth W. Starr

The Starr Report: The Findings Of Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr On President Clinton And The Lewinsky AffairThe Starr Report: The Findings Of Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr On President Clinton And The Lewinsky Affair by Kenneth W. Starr
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I thought I wrote a review of this but I can't find it anywhere. Probably I was just too horrified after reading (horrified by both Bill Clinton and Kenneth Starr). First of all, this reads like a smutty romance turned crime thriller so prepare yourself for that. It's dirty but definitely not hot, so I don't think Starr has a future as a romance writer.

Second, I was disappointed to realize, in retrospect, that Bill Clinton probably should have been impeached because he clearly broke the law. The issue isn't that he was cheating on his wife, nor was it the power dynamics with Monica Lewinsky, whatever you may think about that (3rd-wave-feminist-consenting-adult-view versus the concept that she was a low-level intern and her job was negatively impacted). The issue is that he was being deposed in one of his many sexual harassment lawsuits and he lied about related and relevant questions regarding his relationship with Monica Lewinsky. On top of lying in a sworn deposition, he almost definitely committed the relevant sexual harassment (Gennifer Flowers I think?). Though isn't it almost charming in retrospect that Clinton let himself be deposed and allowed an impeachment to proceed against him? History is definitely going in the wrong direction.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...