Sunday, August 19, 2018

The Wife by Meg Wolitzer

The WifeThe Wife by Meg Wolitzer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I like the psychology of this book. Right away you know the wife thinks her husband is an asshole, but you're not certain of all the dimensions of her distaste for him. By the end, I'd come to see it as more of a dance between the two of them. She is far from blameless in their arrangement, she gets something from it too, even if she chooses to blame her husband for it completely and not take much responsibility for what she chooses to do and what she chooses to allow.

Bit of a spoiler alert- don't read if you haven't read the book!:
I noticed one of the reviews said that the book leaves things somewhat unresolved but to me it seems the opposite. Everything is completely resolved. The main character- the wife, Joan Castleman - is also the author of the tale. (I am not saying that Meg Wolitzer is Joan Castleman, I'm saying that the internal fiction is that you are reading Joan's finished novel.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...