Sunday, March 22, 2020

UnSelfie by Michele Borba

UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me WorldUnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World by Michele Borba
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I appreciate the general concept of a parenting book about teaching children empathy. Empathy is definitely one of the fundamental values in our home. My only complaints were that 1) I don't like the entire concept of discussing it in terms of giving your children some advantage in the marketplace. Admittedly the author didn't spend too much time on this so I suspect it was an editorial marketing suggestion? Complaint 2) The chapter attacking millennials. I'm Generation X but I know more Boomer narcissists than Millennial narcissists. Literally the whole point of those "participation trophies" were to not hurt kids' feelings. Teachers that taught my generation (Boomers and Silent Generation) were known for joining the bullies in their teasing. Not to mention the whole destroying the environment for future generations thing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...