Saturday, July 23, 2016

Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein

Hunger Makes Me a Modern GirlHunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a book mostly for fans of Sleater-Kinney. I wasn't familiar with Sleater Kinney before, but I just downloaded some of the albums Brownstein likes best to listen to them. She's a good writer, she's easy to love, and there's a lot of interesting discussion of the West Coast music scene. But as I said, I'd recommend this mostly to fans of Sleater-Kinney because there's not a lot in the narrative to appeal otherwise. I heard about this book in the Our Shared Shelf feminist book club, but I don't think it's a very feminist book beyond a brief conversation about how female musicians are treated differently in the press than male musicians.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...