Friday, September 16, 2016

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

Consider Phlebas (Culture, #1)Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I like the world-building in this book. I like the conflict between the two alien groups, and I like that we're sort of supposed to root for the other team, not the hero of the story's side (I think, I did).

What I didn't love was that this is one of those adventure stories that just goes from one thing to the next without there really being great believable reasons for it. At a minimum there isn't a great reason for the author to spend so much time on the obstacles to the main challenge, in this case entering Schar's World and retrieving the Mind.

I really wanted to like this book because I inherited a whole bunch of Culture Wars books from my dad, and now I'm less excited to read through them, but I will give it at least one more try with book #2.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...