Saturday, December 2, 2017

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Haruki Murakami

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of PilgrimageColorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What the what? loved a few parts of this novel, such as the importance of these early friendships to Tsukuru. I could relate strongly to that part of the narrative. And the unexpected way in which the kids grew into adults. I also loved his use of color and music in the book. And his narratives about trains, though maybe he was piling too much on at that point.

I also hated a few parts. The characters of the young friends were not sufficiently developed. I felt like I understood the adult version of the characters a lot better but I really needed to connect with the younger versions to care about them. What's the deal with the little bag on the piano? Why is the magical realism not magical or real? I am so confused.

The entire issue of the accusation is very strange to read about in this unique cultural moment.Why does everyone just believe Tsukuru? Especially having an insight into his private thoughts, I'm not sure I believe Tsukuru. I was really anxious throughout the second half of the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...