Friday, December 29, 2017

Gork, the Teenage Dragon by Gabe Hudson

Gork, the Teenage DragonGork, the Teenage Dragon by Gabe Hudson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I like fantasy, science fiction, and children's books (among other genres) so there is nothing that would predict I wouldn't like this book. It reminded me a bit of Riordan's Percy Jackson books, which I mostly like. There were also some unique ideas in the book, and I highlighted some of my favorites below. Unfortunately, the writing felt really childish. In most places, it felt like an actual kid or teen wrote it. At the same time, I don't think the book would actually be appropriate for a young kid because of the extreme violence and constant sexual references. So that's tough.

Quotes/Ideas I liked:

"Nobody knows exactly how big Scale Island is, in part because the island has time tendrils that extend into different dimensions. According to my grandpa Dr. Terrible, the island also has a bunch of wormholes floating all over it."

"...they prefer to inhabit several dimensions at once."

"...every cadet in their first semester at WarWings is required to take a History of the Future course, which outlines in brutal detail the Rise of the Machines and the enslavement of Normal dragons. This History of the Future course is part of the core curriculum, and the professors who teach it have shot up the timestream and witnessed firsthand the destruction of our species by the machines."

"Fribby is completely obsessed with dying. She’s one of the first organic robots that was hatched in an artificial egg, and she’s one of the first machines that can technically die. So Fribby is forever talking about dying..."

"Poetry as a weapon."

"... grandpa taught a special weeklong intensive seminar here at WarWings called 'I Win, You Die: The Art of Brokering the Diabolical Deal.'"

"We’re the only military academy in the galaxy whose campus extends to the Underworld and whose curriculum prepares cadets for battling and conquering hideous creatures and spirits from the Realm of the Dead."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...