Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Train Dreams by Denis Johnson

Train DreamsTrain Dreams by Denis Johnson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Had to read it twice in a row. The first time, I read it slowly. It was lovely but the very last memory left me a bit lost. So then I went back and constructed an OCD-induced timeline of Grainier's life. While it helped me get a better grip on what happened and when, it isn't relevant. These are memories, told and remembered out of order, as you might get from your grandparent, parent, or spouse. All the memories aren't always remembered correctly and the timelines are always hazy, but it's the only way to know a person. These are quite likely the final memories of Granier, possibly as he's looking over his life, and maybe even dreaming. He's not perfect, but he's a beautiful soul. I hope I'll read this book again many times.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...