Tuesday, April 26, 2016

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

After DarkAfter Dark by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was trying to prepare for our trip to Japan... haha... maybe this isn't going to cover it.

The novel is written from a cinematic perspective, but it might be worth noting that the Japanese language itself sort of takes a big view first and then zooms in the way the scenes begin. For example, to say where I'm from I might say I'm from United States, New York, and then say my town. I think that makes more sense then the way we do it in English or Spanish.

It reminds me a lot of the movies Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset in that it's mostly conversation between two characters and it takes place in one night. Even the name sort of reminds me of those movies- After Dark. But "dark" might refer to the sordid background tale of the night, or the feelings the characters are dragging around. The examination of depression in Japan (where historically they did not have a concept of depression) is particularly interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...