Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Tanakh

JPS Tanakh (student edition)Tanakh by Anonymous


Technically, I read the Old Testament, not The Tanakh, but it's the same books in a different order. It took me 6 months to finish.

As a rule, I don't rate or review Holy Books but I'll mention a few things that stood out to me. The Torah/Pentateuch is pretty tightly organized compared to the rest. The rules in Leviticus particularly grabbed my attention, which I wrote more specifically about in my Torah "review."

Much of the rest of the Old Testament is wars and God getting angry for his worshippers breaking rules, especially marrying those of other religions. A few notable exceptions: Song of Songs is very romantic, Jonah is the stuff of great adventure books, and the locusts are as scary as a Steven King novel.

The Christian order leaves a bit to be desired by ending on Malachi. The order of the final Jewish book is either uncertain or was not precisely set but ending on Chronicles is maybe a little better with the rebuilding of Jerusalem.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...