Friday, October 20, 2017

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good LifeThe Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Lots of great points, but I don’t think it makes a well-unified thesis. Care only about the important things, and not about the things that aren’t important.

Okay, I’m with you so far. But how do we determine what’s important?

Well, we’re going to die and only the conceptual self will survive.

Okay, great, so focus on that?

No, give up your conceptual self and just accept the annihilation of the self, but still do good for others.

Unfortunately, I think this kind of unclear thesis often happens when the self-help writer isn’t an expert in anything in particular. His philosophy touches on Buddhism but I suspect Marc Manson is not an expert in that either. Nonetheless, a few powerful thoughts can definitely alter some people’s lives for the better or at least put them on a better path.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...