Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The World Until Yesterday by Jared Diamond

The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies?The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies? by Jared Diamond
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Diamond set out to compare pre-industrialized societies to modern Western society. He especially focuses on New Guinea for his comparisons. He compares legal systems, war, childcare, relationships to the elderly, perception of dangers, religion, number and uses of languages, and diet. I found the childcare part particularly interesting, but since it mostly focuses on babies and young children, the information is mostly superfluous to me now because my kids are older. I think the book is pretty entertaining, and sometimes thought-provoking, but not especially educational.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...